Simple steps to making street food from Swingers: The Breddos Chicken Taco
Want to recreate the fabulous food on offer at Swingers? In the first of a regular series we head into the kitchen at Swingers to find out how they make the seriously good street food that helps to fuel a night of crazy golf. Here’s how the maestros at the Mexican-themed Breddos (served at the City and West End venues) create terrific tacos every time. And since we’re currently living through a time when some food products can prove hard to find on the shelves, we’ve suggested alternatives where possible.
BREDDOS FRIED CHICKEN TACO
- Combine a mixture of tapioca flour, fine polenta and rice flour. All of which are gluten-free, by the way. If you can’t find those, then seasoned plain flour or self-raising flour will also work fine.
- Use chunky strips of chicken breast that have been marinated in buttermilk brine. No buttermilk? Just use ordinary milk instead but add a tablespoon of lemon juice to it and let it stand for five to ten minutes before adding the chicken. Ideally refrigerate the brined chicken for four hours (or overnight).
- Dust the chicken strips with the flour. This makes the chicken super juicy on the inside and well crisped on the outside.
- Deep fry in vegetable or sunflower oil for three and a half to four minutes at 180 degrees.
While the chicken fries…
- Coat a tortilla or wrap with some olive oil.
- Place them on a flat grill (or dry hot pan) for a few seconds each side.
- Lay the base of each taco with fresh chopped red cabbage, which gives it a nice crunch.
- Add the chicken and start dressing it.
- We add our own secret habanero sauce, but there are plenty of commercially available versions sold at supermarkets – in varying degrees of heat to suit all palates.
- Then add some habanero sauce mixed with mayo.
- Add a drop of fresh home-made pico de gallo (tomatoes/coriander/lime juice/red onions). Besides giving it a lovely zest, the mix of colours looks great on the plate.
- Top with coriander.
- And finish off with a dash of fresh lime juice.
Authentic and playful stories that will inspire you to experience the best in life. Share this or click to find out more about Swingers, the world's coolest crazy golf bar and restaurant, and to book your visit.
Swingers is the crazy golf club, a venue that takes the holy trinity that is crazy golf, street food and amazing drinks and combines them all into one incredible social experience. Swingers City is based on a 1920's golf club set in the bucolic English countryside, while Swingers West End takes crazy golf back to its seaside roots in a venue that reimagines the faded glamour of the 1920’s English Riviera.